Three young ladies Three young ladies

Minutes from 11-21-99 - Northshield Coronet

Stallari Meeting Minutes

November 21, 1999 - Investiture and Coronet Tournament, Hosted by Falcon's Keep


In Attendance:

HSH Gaylen the Smiling (Ross Kerr), Prince of Northshield; HSH Kelinda Garrett (Jane Ann Kerr), Princess of Northshield; HE Tristan von Eisig (Darren Chermack), Lord Heir of Northshield; HE Eilika von Lutzen (Jennifer Duncan), Lady Heir of Northshield; Mistress Guenievre du Dragon Vert (Jennifer Dark), Seneschal; HL Richard Morgan of Cumberland (Richard Darnell), Polaris Herald; Lord Julio Ga'van (James Kruse), Incoming Principality Earl Marshal; Lord Roger de Bar (Roger Martell), Chronicler; Mistre ss Elysabet de Warren (Libbet Proudfit), MOAS; Master Antonio di Casa d'Aqua, called Price (Robert Kearns) interim Exchequer.

Lesser Officers in Attendance:

Viscountess Fiona nic Aoidh (Lorine Horvath), incoming MoAS.

Minutes taken by Lady Aldiana Dragonetti (Lori Martell), designated substitute Stallari Council Secretary, and edited by Lady Elaine du Beauchamp (Elizabeth Pemberton), Stallari Council Secretary, and Mistress Guenievre, Northshield Seneschal.

The meeting was called to order at 9:40 AM; introductions were made all around

I. Agenda

An item was added for scheduling the next meeting date and time. It was agreed that items could be taken out of order from the agenda.

II. September 18 Minutes

HSH Kelinda noted that the seal discussed in VI.A was for the Principality, not for Gaylen and Kelinda's reign alone. HSH Kelinda moved to accept the minutes as corrected, Mistress Libbet seconded, motion passed unanimously.

III. Their Serene Highnesses

  • A. Officers
    1. TSH asked for the officers' terms' end dates. The following were noted:
      • PEM term ends January 2000 - successor has been named (Lord Julio)
      • Seneschal term ends June 2000
      • MoAS term ends June 2000 - successor has been named (HE Fiona)
      • Herald term ends June 2001
      • Chirurgeon term is believed to end November 2001
      • Chronicler term ends January 2001
      • Exchequer term will be January 2000 - 2002
    2. TSH would also like to know the term ends for the Lesser Officers. These vary considerably and will have to be researched. Added to the minutes during editing: Stallari Council Secretary's term ends June 2000 (deputy of Seneschal)
    3. HSH Gaylen would like to see a law or policy that clearly states the expectations for officers as to meetings attended and reports submitted. All great officers should send a report or a deputy to meetings which they themselves are unable to attend. It was proposed that if an officer misses three (3) meetings, he or she would be removed from office, and a follow-up should be made after two (2) missed meetings. Mistress Guenievre is working on an operations guide that would contain such requirements; she hopes to have it finished by Boar's Head. HSH Gaylen would like the suggested number of missed meetings changed to two (2), explaining that three (3) meetings is a reign and too long for an officer to be out of communication. It was agreed that two (2) meetings missed by a Greater Officer without reporting or representation would be grounds for removal.
  • B. Coronet/Investiture - Discussion was held on possibly splitting the two events. HSH Gaylen stated that the Principality isn't so large that we need Heirs right away. HL Richard explained some of the history of why we have done both at the same event (Kingdom scheduling, etc.) Viscountess Fiona mentioned the benefit for an incoming Prince and Princess of getting settled before taking on heirs. HSH Gaylen would like this to be considered and decided by June, and asks that the Stallari talk with the populace and get their opinions.

IV. Their Excellencies the Heirs

  • A. Contact Information - HE Tristan will be setting up a web account for everything, and asked for a listing of mailing lists to which he and HE Eilika will need to subscribe.

V. Great Officers

  • A. Seneschal

    1. Groups
      • a. Rockwall is doing well. The exchequer files have been returned to them with a balance of about $2,000. There are two physical locations; the northern section would like to split off, citing weather concerns and cohesion due to distance, but will stay together until after the Domesday reports. It is possible that the northern group will become a canton of Caer Anterth Mawr.
      • b. Coldedernhale is progressing well, and should be advanced to incipient status after their next report.
    2. Althing - The Althing is going well and is planned for February 26th in Shattered Oak (Eau Claire WI). It will include discussion on advancing to kingdom status as well as other topics. Promotion of this event will be key to its success. The idea is to take the discussions, conclusions, action items, etc., to the Peer's Retreat and to the Stallari for consideration.
    3. Midrealm Curia, 10-31-99
      • a. A Laws Issue of The Pale will be coming out in April or May.
      • b. RUM is being re-vamped. There is a full write-up in the December issue of The Pale regarding this. One topic is the institution of more structure.
    4. Chatelain
      • a. We have a new chatelain, Lord Arnbjorn of Burning Stone (Wesley Adams, West Allis, WI). Lord Michael (Peter Handberg, Duluth, MN) will stay on as deputy and help with the Domesday report.
      • b. Our chatelaine materials need to be re-vamped, both on the web and in hard copy. Lady Gwenhwyvar verch Owen ap Morgan (Regina Simmons) will be taking on this project.
    5. Laws & Policies: No report at this time.
    6. Newcomer's Seminar - Many new gentles don't have basic knowledge about the Society. Mistress Guenievre talked with the new chatelain about holding a "Newcomers' Seminar" in early to mid-October 2000. There will be "Introduction to the Society" classes and other creative classes, with perhaps a mock court and new gentles doing the heraldry for the day, etc. Asking groups in the Western region of Northshield (the Dakotas) to host the event was discussed.
  • B. Polaris Herald

    1. Ceremonies
      • a. Work is in progress.
    2. Awards
      • a. New badges in the works include the Crwth, Hearthstead, and Guidestar.
      • b. New names that are being worked on include:
        1. Guidestar - won't pass because we can't prove that the Polaris star was called the "guidestar" in period. Suggestions included:
          • Drop the "star" and go with "guide"
          • Go with "Cynasura" (spelling?) which refers to Ursa Minor, the leader of armies, etc
          • Go in a totally different direction - perhaps researching beacon, lighthouse, etc.
        HL Richard will research the possibilities and bring his information to Boar's Head
      • c. Richard will be submitting the Crwth and Hearthstead ASAP.
    3. Order of Precedence - A new OP is out. Lord Roger mentioned that it is printed in the December issue of the Northwatch.
    4. Other
      • a. Herald warrants have been signed and a listing of warranted heralds will go on the Principality web pages under the Herald's page.
      • b. The approved armory will also be put on the web.
      • c. Laurel indicated an interest in having Northshield host the Known World Heraldic Symposium in 2001; HL Richard has a team looking into a bid.
      • d. The Sheriff/Constable issue is back to square one due to issues with definitions.
  • C. Chronicler

    1. Risograph
      • a. It was agreed that the monies which have been earmarked for the Risograph would be transferred to the Northwatch bank account. Lord Roger and the Northwatch Exchequer will be managing the payments and arrangements for the Risograph. Future donations for the Risograph should be directed to the "SCA-Northwatch" account rather than into the Principality's bank account.
      • b. It was discussed and agreed that a Laws Issue of the Northwatch would be published in March or April. (Mistress Guenievre will need to update and edit the laws and policies.)
  • D. MoAS

    1. Succession - Mistress Libbet introduced HE Fiona.
    2. A&S Event
      • a. Inner Sea will be holding the Northshield A&S Faire in spring 2000.
      • b. A pre-A&S event is in the works, with the possibility of two events as warm-ups to the A&S faire.
    3. Training - HE Fiona will be working with Mistress Libbet from now until the succession in June 2000, as the A&S Faire requires on-the-job training.
    4. Known World Costuming and Armoring Symposium - Jararvellir is planning to host a Known World Costuming and Armoring Symposium in 2001. It was noted that there is a late-period costume symposium being held in Indiana around that time, which may be a scheduling conflict.
    5. Northstar - The Northstar is not going as well as planned. When surveyed, gentles wanted an A&S newsletter, but subscriptions aren't reflecting that initial interest, so Mistress Libbet will cut back on the print numbers.
  • E. Principality Earl Marshal

    1. Armored Combat: Going well. Lord Uthyr is now the Minister of the Lists (fighters' cards.)
    2. Fencing: Going well. Lord Dorian (Robert Jackson III, St. Paul, MN), Northshield Marshal of Fence, plans to have regional deputies.
    3. Archery: Going well. HL Robin Arthur Kyrke (Greg Young, Winnipeg, MAN) is looking into holding more archery events.
    4. Scouting: Remains weak. Scouting tends to pick up during the war season, but dies out afterward.
  • F. Exchequer

    1. State of the books - Master Price distributed a Comparative Balance Sheet; he will have the allocation amounts by Boar's Head.
    2. Budget Worksheet - Mistress Guenievre distributed and annual budget worksheet, based on current policy for allocated funds, etc. It was noted that if each officer turned in receipts and took his or her full allocation per reign, the working budget would be $2,850 per year.
    3. Pavilion - To clear funds, we need to promote the pavilion project. Some suggestions mentioned were officers sponsoring a dag for each officer badge, Peers sponsoring their respective badges on dags, gentles perhaps sponsoring various award dags, etc. It was noted that dags can be bought and held until devices are available.
    4. Northshield Griffin's Gate and Pennsic Encampment Line Items - The Griffin's Gate item was explained as the startup fund for Pennsic, designed so that the gatekeepers don't have sizeable out-of-pocket expenses at Pennsic. Currently, the Northshield Pennsic encampment is run on donations at the gate. There was discussion as to whether or not any leftover funds should roll into the general account or remain a separate item. The Pennsic encampment line item doesn't revert to general fund. It wa s decided that the two (2) line items shall be combined, made non-reverting, and that the Principality shall no longer submit $100.00 per year to the account; instead it shall be self-seeding with a minimum balance of $100.00 maintained.

VI. Old Business

  • A. June 2000 Coronet Bids
    1. The Shire of Rockhaven has withdrawn their bid due to administrative difficulties and date concerns.
    2. Coille Stormeil has submitted a bid for June 17th and Jararvellir has pledged their support. The date for their site is not negotiable.
    3. Caer Anterth Mawr submitted a bid for June 24th at the Waukesha Expo Center. They need to know whether or not their bid is accepted ASAP, as a non-refundable deposit on the site is required to secure it. The date for their site is not negotiable.
    4. Mistress Guenievre will contact the bidding groups and inquire about alternatives.
    5. Their Serene Highnesses and Their Excellencies the Heirs are concerned that Coronet will conflict with Lillies War, and don't want that to happen

  • B. "Operations Guide"
  • Mistress Guenievre plans to have the first real draft of the guide available at Boar's Head.

VII. New Business

  • A. November 2000 Coronet Bids

    1. The Proto-Incipient Shire of Coldedernhale is putting in a bid for November 2000, and Lord Julio will have copies of the bid available at Boar's Head.
  • B. Proposed Changes to Coronet Rotation

    Discussion postponed for a later date.
  • C. Next Meeting

    1. The next Stallari meeting will be at Boar's Head, Saturday morning, December 11. The meeting will include action items only.
    2. It has been suggested and requested that Exchequer position applications be submitted by Boar's Head, as the Kingdom Curia meets that weekend and would like to have a feel for the applicants by then. The Stallari will consider applications at a Stallari meeting at/during Nordskogen's Twelfth Night for recommendation to Kingdom.


VIII. Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 11:36 AM.

Posted by: Elaine de Beauchamp Council Secretary on 11/21/1999

This site is © 2014 Kingdom of Northshield. Original contributors retain the copyright of certain portions of this site.